Monday, August 19, 2013

Have you ever FIZZLED???


Have you ever hit a fitness lull?  Have you ever started (and hopefully completed) a fitness program only to fizzle out when it was over?

The rhetorical answer is "yes".  Trust me, I already know...and you are in good company.

Did you know that roughly 20% of gym memberships go unused?  We have good intentions when we sign up, pay each month and stock up on workout clothes, supplements and protein shakes.  So, how do all these good intentions get replaced by movies on the couch, happy hours with friends, pizza dinners and stretchy jeans?

Enter the {FIZZLE}. 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
fiz·zle 

1. Informal To fail or end weakly, especially after a hopeful beginning.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The Fizzle happens when we put the needs of our spouses/kids/friends/pets ahead of our own.  "I can't go to the gym because I have to:

Attend a work dinner"
Take the dog to the vet"
Take my kids to practice"
Pick up my husband's Suit at the dry cleaner"
Visit with the In-Laws"
Plan my friend's baby shower"

And the list goes on.......

This list is called LIFE and it will always be there.  And if we're not careful, our flabby bodies and more importantly declining cardiovascular systems will also be there.  It's our job to find that ONE HOUR a day to detach from all the people who demand so much from us.  It's not being selfish, it's taking care of yourself.

Before you were a:

Husband/Wife/Mom/Dad/Coach/CEO/PetOwner/RaceCarDriver/Whatever/Whatever

you were your own priority.  And it's okay to find time to be your own priority again.

I have taken 5 weeks off from my typical 5 day a week workout regime.  I have been working like crazy (feeling lucky to have a growing business), skipped workouts, hit happy hour, tried new restaurants and succumbed to the cozy movies on the couch more often than necessary.  It was fun.....

And I feel lethargic.

So, I decided to put myself first again.  Everyone in my life is happier when I'm not a insomniac stress case anyway.  I am going to hike weekly, lift 4 times a week, attend a run group once a week and plan my meals.  And I have chosen a race to train for with a few friends.  Peer Pressure can be a good thing. :-)

If these things are in place, the happy hours, road trips and movie nights will have a significantly lower impact on my overall fitness.  It's all about BALANCE.  New outfits for happy hour are more fun when they show off the guns anyway.  Am I right?

I prefer to feel strong, see my muscles and enjoy my workouts.  Struggling through an hour of lifting with relatively low weights is not how I want to spend my mornings.  I would rather feel healthy and motivated (and slightly ripped, let's be honest) and that's exactly where I plan to be in the coming weeks.

So....today is Day1.  We can always start over.

Who is with me????


No comments:

Post a Comment