Friday, November 18, 2011

Embrace your "You"ness



I am asked often about training tips and nutritional guidelines. I get messages from people who have seen pictures (thank you Stacey Cooper and BootyCampSB) and read articles about the journeys of my amazingly empowered fitness peers. People want to know the magic formula. How do I lose weight? How do I gain muscle? How do I train to be an athlete?

Most of the time, I laugh because I am not a fitness professional at all. I am just a girl who happens to enjoy the process. I don't love the gym and I certainly don't love the effect an intense 3 month training program has on my social life, but what I do love is the family dynamic that we have built and the strength I have gained from my time in this program.

My strength isn't about weight lifting, training or the journey to attain my ideal physical self. It's about taking chances, leaving my comfort zone and feeling out of place. The road to strength wasn't always aided by fitness professionals and nutritional guidelines. Often times, it comes from putting ourselves in new situations and taking chances. I admit that my fitness journey has inspired me to rekindle my innate sense of adventure (hello fashion shows!!), but it's really the mental process that is most rewarding.

When people ask me how they can boost their confidence or improve their physical appearance, I tell them to first think about taking risks and finding their spark. To do this, you may have to break some rules and leave that comfy, cozy bubble...and that's where the magic happens.

Need ideas?
**Browse a book store for hours reading about all the countries you want to visit.
**Take a language class or a pottery class or an auto shop class.
**Participate in a speaking forum where you can hone your skills as a linguistic genius.
**Sit alone and write poetry.
**Volunteer
**Join a new group.
**Go to the movies alone. (and eat ALL the popcorn! Whoo-hoo!)
**Go out to dinner alone.
**Enjoy your time alone and bond with yourself.

Depend on yourself.

Boosting confidence is a process, much like muscle-building. It takes time and sufficient self-discovery to really uncover the strengths and passions that exist within us. Strength comes from the most unexpected places...don't forget to notice.





No comments:

Post a Comment